Morfa is the latest incarnation of my lifelong interest in trains. It's based on the real life location of Morfa Mawddach, but includes numerous deviations that I thought would be an improvement on real life. Hopefully the character and atmosphere remain. These days I'm less interested in reading accounts of how individuals build their models than I am about why they do. Though I'm always up for pertinent questions, I'd like to step away from the norm and concentrate on the reasons behind the choices and the motivation to model. I'll try my hardest to avoid sounding like a pretentious twerp but there's a risk I may not succeed.

Thursday 27 December 2012

Perfectionism versus Character


‘If you can’t say anything nice then don’t say anything at all’ goes the saying. Other strategies are available; amongst the most common is the use of ‘characterful’ to describe work that may fall short of what the viewer would expect. There is in our hobby an unspoken undercurrent of encouragement, or pressure, to raise one’s game.  More detail, more accuracy, sharper model making is the name of the game. I’m pretty convinced that these goals are the wrong ones. 

There are some model makers at the very top end of the skull and ability range who produce stuff close to perfection that leaves me cold. Even if exquisitely painted and weathered these paragons somehow mange to be devoid of life, while the imperfect lives and breathes. I’ve spent some time wondering why this should be so, my intuition (ok guesswork) tells me that it’s something to do with approach; the models being planned, measured, practised and crafted with nothing left to chance. The best materials and tools are brought to bear; skills are honed in attempt to guarantee success. 

Real life isn’t like that, imperfections abound. Even engineers accept imperfection in the tolerances specified and permitted, and that’s before nature wreaks havoc in its attempt to reclaim its own. There’s a randomness about the real world that perfectionism in a model fights against. Sterility lies not too far down the honed and perfected route. Real life, character and atmosphere are found in allowing the happy accident to flourish. Embrace the unplanned that adds to the model, take chances and remember it’s the art rather than the engineering that impresses.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, yes...I'm totally with you on this. There is sometimes a feeling of sterility and boredom that sets in when looking at some pitch-perfect rendition of a prototype, down to the last rivet and tea-stain down the cab side. I often wish that imagination had crept in somewhere. Trying too hard, I humbly posit, often leads to own goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hear hear, sir. Although I must admit to having ripped the roof off my current construct because it wasn't right...

    ReplyDelete