Morfa is the latest incarnation of my lifelong interest in trains. It's based on the real life location of Morfa Mawddach, but includes numerous deviations that I thought would be an improvement on real life. Hopefully the character and atmosphere remain. These days I'm less interested in reading accounts of how individuals build their models than I am about why they do. Though I'm always up for pertinent questions, I'd like to step away from the norm and concentrate on the reasons behind the choices and the motivation to model. I'll try my hardest to avoid sounding like a pretentious twerp but there's a risk I may not succeed.

Thursday 25 July 2013

Borrowing

Generally I believe that backscenes are good, unfortunately the shape, size and orientation of Morfa mean that only two and a bit sides are covered by them. A good proportion of the layout can be viewed from both inside the squished oval shape and from outside. Looking out on the bits devoid of backscene one has to filter out the rest of my playroom clutter, but looking in I hoped to be able to borrow the backscene from the far side of the layout. Take a look at the photo, it shows how the principle works.



The train is a foot or so away from the camera, the backscene about fourteen feet. In an ideal world I'd have used the whole height available to me, but practicalities forced a two foot high backscene, leading to the letterbox cropping of the shot. However the mind is a wonderful thing and when watching trains pass here, the white wall above the backscene fades out.

No comments:

Post a Comment